The staple of powder boards are those with a directional shape as the new powder freestyle movement has moved in. Perhaps I’m getting old or maybe I just like knowing that I can slash aggressively and have a great time without the need to throw spins or big pow butters into the mix.
2017 was another good year for us in the Colorado Rockies and I was able to test out a magnitude of decks from a plethora of brands. These are my top 5 picks for the best this year.
1) The Burton Branch Manager – It has been a long time since I’ve been this in love with a Burton snowboard, but the Branch Manager really sticks out as a deck that can do it all. Whether getting after it on a deep day or just cruising around trying to find pow after the storm it holds up. The shape is great in that it lets the tail sink easier while the nose planes away on top of that white fluffy snow.
2) The Arbor Cosa Nostra – The Shreddy Kreugger might have reinvented the Arbor powder board, but it was perfected in the Cosa Nostra, a board that is a bit stiffer than its big brother. It slashes aggressively with effortless float due to the camber profile and still has just enough grip for when you get into firm conditions.
3) The Flow Darwin – Charles Darwin might have brought us the theory of evolution, but Flow brought us the evolution of the powder swallowtail. This board is unsinkable and still has enough flex in it to make you get rowdy in the chunder when stiffer boards would buck you.
4) The Venture Euphoria – There are boards that you get on that stick out as being amazing. The Euphoria is one of those, the day I got on this deck there was a wow factor to how amazing it was and while Venture took a year off, they’re back and ready to get solid snow sliding slash sticks under your feet.
5) The Jones Hovercraft – This is the one board that always sticks out in the Jones quiver and for good reason. You can downsize just a hair on it, rip aggressive turns, and slash with the best of them. It’s name comes from the ability to ride on top of the snow.
As Black Friday and Cyber Monday approach you can do your part to support the site by buying through the affiliates below, or not. The choice is yours but we would value your money.