The NOW Binding Explained

The man behind one of the most hyped bindings in recent history JF Pelchat gives an explanation of his creation in this first installment. So for all you people questioning the Now Bindings take heed of this. For those wondering if I will get a pair for review it is in the works.

Causes controversy!

Latest posts by Angrysnowboarder (Posts)

1. Dave says:

Nothing special ! talking about dampening one should understand that the hole foot has to be on the top of the soft polymer in order to get dampening. Here they put 4 small pillows in four ends of the bindings and say great dampening, but in real foot rests on the base plate and the base-plate sits on the disk which does not have on the top any cushioning.
    Regarding more power transfer I think in this way you loose more power than with traditional technology. Because you have to calculate the time when the power is transferred from your brain to the edge of the snowboard, and in comparison to traditional once where u have all parts attached tight , here you need more time to let the opposite end first to reach the snowboard and then to push it.

2. Alex says:

How is that quicker edge to edge? If there is movement in the binding when switching from heelside to toeside wouldn’t that just make the edge to edge transition slower? sounds like more bullshit gimmicks.

3. Kyle says:

I rode them and like them a lot. The increase pressure against the edge by adding a small amount of leverage. I noticed I got deeper carves and stronger edge hold.

4. John says:

The concept looks solid and I would love to ride some. That said, JF should be slapped once for ever video he puts out that starts with the test pattern.

5. “talking about dampening one should understand that the hole foot has to be on the top of the soft polymer in order to get dampening.”

This isn’t necessarily true, because weight distribution is dynamic throughout the binding and not statically applied on the baseplate/mounting disc. The cushioning could provide protection from edge-chatter being directly transferred to the rest of the bindings, especially in a hard turn. Without testing them it’s hard to be sure but the concept isn’t unsound.

6. Chris says:

I am so underwhelmed by these. I have no idea how introducing slack into the boot/binding/board connection is supposed to increase responsiveness. It doesn’t make any sense to me. A skate truck doesn’t just pivot side to side due to the kingpin (unless it’s some crap from Toys R Us) it causes the axle to physically rotate relative to the direction of travel. These don’t do that at all, they just create slack. If you’re just tuning for board flex, there are plenty of companies doing this already without such a complicated mechanism.

7. jaded says:

Anyone notice that the only negative comments here are people that have NOT ridden them?

8. Change scares people.

9. Marcus says:

I will certainly test these and will gladly push for them if they keep up to the hype. I gave them a proper check out at ISPO. I am however puzzled about how the pivot and added movement of the baseplate can result in better response. In my head the theory does not add up. The future testing will tell!

10. GuerillaJibs says:

What’s the weight on these? They look heavy. Might be nice if all you do is carve, but i think that slop might not be too great for park or trees.

11. Equivalent of any Burton binding they’re not heavy at all.

12. Teo says:

They sound awesome, would love to give them a go. Bring them to NZ.

13. Alex says:

What price do they retail at?

14. poopoobutt says:

dosent seem to good for trees but prob pree fun for cruising ill try them out

15. jak says:

some people have talked negatively about burton reflex giving slight binding on board heel lift (not foot inside boot heel lift). Now looks like the same thing, but even more lift and on purpose.