What do you say about Rossignol that covers the gamut of the belief of this snowboard brand? There’s just so much ground to cover. The Retox for 2014 is a board I think many will like as it’s something a little different.
Board: Rossignol Retox
Camber Option: Amptek Rocker. Rocker in the tips and camber between the feet. 60% of the board is camber and the other 40% is rocker.
Bindings: Rome 390 Boss
Stance: 22.5 Wide 18 Negative 15 Goofy
Boots: K2 Thraxis Size 10
My Weight: 175lbs
Conditions: Mix of sun and clouds making the snow an interesting mix of heavy slush and firm ice in spots.
Flex: It’s a middle of the road flex for park. The tips are softer and have more play, it stiffens up under foot and then it’s a hair softer between the feet. There’s a fair amount of torsional give which makes it ever so playful.
Stability: About as stable as a park deck can get that still has camber. Riding through choppy terrain it sucked up the micro-vibrations, but anything that was abrupt you can feel. This board is very lively but not damp.
Ollies: It’s nice having a little camber underneath your feet to give you added snap. This board can pop.
Pop On Jumps: Small to bigger medium sized jumps are not an issue. The camber profile on this deck really allows you to get optimal snap.
Butterability: The rocker in the tips coupled with the blunted shape make this board so much fun for playing around on the snow. It’s nice to have a little camber underfoot to fight back when you get over the board and swivel around on snow.
Jibbing: The sweet spot in the tips of this board are amazing. I haven’t felt so secure locking into a press in a long while. This board just does it with ease. Having camber between the feet is great for doing board slides as it locks in better than something that is reverse.
Carving: The sidecut takes a bit of adjustment to get used to. I believe this is due to the 60/40 ratio of camber to rocker. When you’re locked in you can do a hard carve but if you center flex the board too much the tip starts to elevate and you’re not getting full edge hold. Small set up turns are a breeze.
Rider in Mind: The park guy that’s going to do it all from jibbing to jumping and doesn’t hesitate to ride the rest of the mountain.
Personal Thoughts: The flex pattern and camber profile took a bit to get used to. I believe this to be because the camber to rocker transition is right under foot. I will say that the edge hold is amazing but if you over flex the board you will be back foot carving. The flex pattern is fun for all around use. Over all it’s a fun board.
Support your local snowboard shop buy locally. Find a shop here.
Disclaimer: This board was loaned to us for product review by the Rossignol Snowboards marketing department.