2013 Salomon Villain Used and Reviewed

Seems this year every company is dropping an entirely new model with some kind of hybrid camber. The good thing about Salomon is they know how to make a board and make it ride very well. Here’s how it stacked up.

Board: Salomon Villain

Size: 153

Camber Option: Rock Out Camber. Flat between the feet micro camber under foot into rocker. The idea is that you load the cambered areas and that causes the rocker to rise up.

Bindings: Raiden Phantoms

Stance: 22.5 Wide 18 Negative 15 Goofy

Boots: K2 UFO T1 Size 10

My Weight: 165

Resort: Breckenridge

Conditions: Sunny bluebird spring conditions.

Flex: Just a hair under middle of the road with slightly stiffer tips and more give between the feet.

Stability: Stable enough to bomb across frozen groomers and chopped out terrain yet not overly damp to lessen the liveliness of the ride.

Ollies: The Popster Booster in the tips gives amazing snap after initiating the camber zones.

Pop On Jumps: Popping off the lip isn’t an issue and this board is suited for small to medium sized jumps.

Butterability: Rockered tips and a slightly softer flex allow you to play around with whatever combination it is that you need to butter your muffin.

Jibbing: This board locks into presses. The flat zone between the feet gives it stability that makes you feel locked in.

Carving: Ripping hard tight turns the equilizer sidecut locks in and doesn’t feel like it’s going to cause you to wash out. Long drawn out carves aren’t an issue at all.

Rider in Mind: Medium sized park guy that wants a little hybrid camber to go all over the mountain.

Personal Thoughts: The snap in this board is amazing and for a first year model it did everything that it says it would exceptionally well. Railing turns was a breeze that lent itself for easy to set up going from feature to feature or just slaloming around the spring break tourists.

Support your local snowboard shop buy locally. Find a shop here.

1. Abba says:

What are the differences -in the riding feeling I mean- between this one and the Rome Mod Rocker? Thanks.

2. Mod Rocker more towards mountain riding with a damper ride and more snap for sending bigger features, Villain softer rider feeling all vibrations, OK pop for park features, not a total all mountain killer.

3. Abba says:

Thanks a lot, this is exactly what I was asking about. ;-)

4. Think you misspelled something there buddy.

5. Jowin says:

Managed to narrow it down to this board with my budget and what I want ride wise but I dont like the white graphics with the cob web and villian character on the ends! I noticed in your video the deck has a black top, is that the salomon classic board or can you actually get different graphics for the Villian?

Also, Im looking for a freestyle board I can use in the park but slightly more all over the mountain, reckon this’d suite? The mod rocker is out of my price range else i’d ge that but from what i’ve read this seems like a good alternative, what do you think?

6. What video? It’s a graphic just put some die cuts over it and call it good enough.

7. Jowin says:

My bad, the videos from another site, 4 hours of tralling the net looking at articles etc makes your mind go. Just out of interest, which board would say is best out of the Yes Basic, Salomon Villain and the Signal Omni – I’m looking for an all mountain freestyle board that’s forgiving with loads of pop… Gonna try them all out at an indoor place near me but would be good to have you opinion! Thanks!

8. I’d go with the Villain out of those three.

9. Jowin says:

Ok cheers! A friend of mine says the bataleon boards are good too, reckon the Goliath is better than the villain?

10. I haven’t ridden the Goliath in a few years so can’t really say man.

11. The villan with the black top sheet is the classick, look bat the salomon/bonfire website and you’ll see it. It’s also 150g lighter than the regular villan. This is supposed to be the jib/rail/park board of the year that you can still ride the hill on

12. Pippo says:

How would you compare this to the Yes the greats from an all.mountain/riding some pow prospective?

13. I wouldn’t two different decks entirely.

14. Anti Hero says:

How did this size up compared to the Arbor Blacklist? FYI…thanks for all the info and entertaining items on your sight.

15. Two different boards with two different camber options.

16. Anti Hero says:

Got that part already, figured you rode both and could describe how they compared in performance? Need a Mountain High board to beat up. No worries.

17. If you’re riding that small place and the slush I’d just get the Arbor honestly. It’s like wakeboarding there.

18. connor says:

salomon villain or the yes jackpot

19. Those are snowboards!

20. Connor says:

What one is a better board for jumps

21. Bee says:

Would you take the villain or a NS revolver for park riding only?

22. Villain hands down. Way better park board.

23. Jack says:

What size would you go suggest, 153 or 155 for park, mainly rails, and I weigh 187 lbs?
    Thanks

24. 53 for super jibbing and nothing else 55 for all others.

25. Jayson Lee says:

How would you compare this board with the neversummer evo?

26. me says:

hey man, i want to buy the villain. my weight is 148 lbs. i’m mostly riding rails and kickers. what size should i take? 150 or 153

27. More jibs and small jumps 150 more medium to big jumps and rails 53.