2013 Arbor Coda Used and Reviewed

The first time I ever set foot on an Arbor it was this exact model and with that maiden voyage on that years Coda I saw everything Arbor had to offer. Their combination of reverse camber and grip tech makes all the difference in the world with how these boards ride. In all those seasons that have past this board still doesn’t disappoint.

Board: Arbor Coda

Size: 157

Camber Option: All mountain system. Center reverse with grip tech under foot.

Bindings: Raiden Phantoms

Stance: 22.5 Wide 18 negative 15 goofy.

Boots: K2 UFO Size 10

My Weight: 165

Resort: A Basin

Conditions: Sunny bluebird slightly firmer snow.

Flex: Softer in the nose then stiffening up under foot and in the tail. Little bit of give torsionally to allow for center twisting when initiating turns.

Stability: The nose had a bit of chatter but over all this board is stable but lively.

Ollies: You can load up the tips and snap. Granted the tail will have more snap than the nose due to the flex.

Pop On Jumps: You can send a jump on this board without a problem.

Butterability: The nose being softer lets you play around on that a bit better than the tail.

Jibbing: It’ll get the job done but you have to put a bit more effort into it.

Carving: You can rail a turn underfoot due to the griptech. This board is at home laying carves all the way down the mountain.

Rider in Mind: Someone that doesn’t want a twin and will ride the whole mountain.

Personal Thoughts: This board really hasn’t changed since the last time I reviewed it. It’s still a consistently solid ride that can handle it all. If anything I would say it’s a slightly directional Westmark or Blacklist in how it rides albeit with just a bit more give in the nose.

Support your local snowboard shop buy locally. Find a shop here.

1. ThommyDawson says:

Afaik not much has changed on Arbors boards (because it doesn’t need to!) but I’m still dying to see you review the Draft/ Westmark or maybe even the Element RX. The coda was my first encounter with Arbors rocker/ griptech boards too and while I like to keep finger on the pulse of other brands and boards, nothing beats what Arbor has going on for me.

2. Rainier Galliano says:

CODA or BSOD?

3. Greg says:

Conflicted between the 155 and 157. 20 years riding, 5’10” 170lb, size 7.5 boot. I probably hit the park 10% of the day and look for natural features all day. Could I get away with a 155 for a fun all mountain board? Thanks man.

4. Mark says:

I’ve been riding for 15 years I ride about 10-15 days a year. Mostly powder in trees and groomers. More of a cruiser/carver style no parks for me. 5’11” 205lbs. Just bought a 165 but thinkn I should get 161 any thoughts?

5. Well smaller would be more nimble in the trees for sure.

6. Sierra says:

Was looking at a 2013 coda this weekend and noticed that the reverse camber between the feet seemed a bit flatter than the 2011/12 Arbor blacklist. Is it just me, or did Arbor flatten out the camber a little bit between the feet or is this just the way the Codas RC works?

7. It’s just a different system which makes more sense. I know they’re always tweaking it.

8. Saby says:

Is this board any good on groomed hills?

9. Zane says:

Hey Angry,
    I’m keen on getting a Coda for a trip to Japan next season (and to use as a good conditions all-mountain freestyle/fun board in the Australian winter). I have a 156 Westmark as my everyday board, so was wanting the Coda to be the board that floats better in powder, but is still useable as a fun good conditions ride (not powder specific- just a board that can be used in 1-2ft of fresh and not sink too easily, also not too long for mucking around on). I’m 163pounds and 5’11”. Was thinking either 157 or 159? Do you reckon the 157 Coda would have noticeably better float than the 156 Westmark? Or should I step it up to the 159 for more “unsinkability”? CHeers

10. You’ll want to bump up to the 59 the 57 will be too similar to the 56 Westmark you have.

11. Zane says:

Thanks for the wisdom Angry

12. Florus says:

Hi Angry,

I can get a good deal on a Coda, but they only have a 159. I’m 6’6″ and 191 lbs, with 5 years experience. Do you think the 159 would be big enough for me?

Cheers

13. Melissa says:

I’m changing my board soon, and i’m confused about buying a 153cm Coda or Element RX. I’m looking for a board which has a good float on powder to navigate between the trees. It seems that the Element RX is a bit heavier than the Coda, is it true? I’m a 5’5 1/4”, 137 lbs girl riding a 1999 156cm Rossignol Proline right now so I guess that anyways, the Coda or the Element RX would be lighter and easier to manoeuvre than my old board, so what do you think about it?

Thanks

14. Why aren’t you looking at a chicks board?

15. Melissa says:

No, really, i’ve made my mind on these two, so, what do you think?

16. Melissa says:

And why does the hell, all chicks sport equipement has to be pink or covered with flowers??

17. Out of those two go with the Coda.

18. Lucas says:

5’8″, 155 pounds. Would like to get a 155 but I can great deal on this board in a 157. Do you think I would notice much difference between the two? Do you think a 157 is a little too big?
    Thanks in advance!

19. Depends on what you’re using it for. More freeride oriented 57 will give you added stability and float in pow, more freestyle won’t be as good as jibbing and have a heavier swing weight.